City of Roswell Frequently Asked Questions

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

How can I teach my children about 911?

It is important to teach kids the proper use of 911. It could be your life they save. Give them scenarios and quiz them on their address and other information so they will be comfortable telling the 911 operator. Consider unplugging the phone and have them actually press the numbers. Cell phones are all different, but many have a feature to bypass the keypad lock for emergency calls. Make sure kids know specifically what buttons to press to complete a call. Make it a habit, like changing the batteries in your smoke detectors. Stress the importance of only calling when it is a true emergency (fire vs argument with little brother) and what to do if they call accidentally.

What happens when I call 911?

As a caller you should expect to answer the following basic questions:

1) Where is the situation happening – address, building, intersection, etc.

2) What is happening – car crash, house fire, injured subject

3) Who is involved – including how many & descriptions, calling party involvement

4) When did it happen – something old or a situation in progress

The call-taker may repeat back certain information including the address or phone number.  It is important for you, the caller, to remain as calm as possible and allow the 911 operator to direct the conversation.  This will ensure the quickest and most appropriate response.

What if I don't know where I am?

In this age of smart phones, it can be tough knowing exactly where you are when you call 911. Under normal circumstances, a Roswell 911 operator can pinpoint your location only to the nearest tower that your wireless phone connected to. If you do not know an address near you, look for landmarks, signs and buildings. Even the name of the closest business can be used to help determine your exact location.

What is "emergency mode" on my phone?

Once you have dialed 911 on your cell phone, it may place itself in “emergency mode.” This should prevent any incoming calls or texts other than a return call from dispatch, in case of a dropped call. Contact your service provider for more information about how this feature works on your phone.

What should I do if I (or my child) calls 911 by mistake?

Don't hang up! Have an adult explain to the 911 operator what happened. If the line has already been disconnected, make sure to answer the phone when it rings. It is most likely the 911 operator calling you back.

When should I use 911?

Anytime you need immediate assistance from law enforcement, EMS, or the fire department. 911 should not be used to ask about traffic conditions, directions, or for general information. The non-emergency line for the Police Department is 770-640-4100.

Are animals required to be licensed?

Fulton County law requires that all dogs and cats in Fulton County must have a current vaccination against rabies and pet owners must register their animal with and obtain a license tag from Fulton County Animal Services.
In order to register your dog or cat:

  • Contact us at 404-794-0358 to request a copy of the Animal License Application
  • You may bring your rabies certificate to the shelter at 860 Marietta Blvd, Atlanta, GA 30318 and pay for your license in person.

For all other questions about licensing, call 404-794-0358.

How do I adopt a pet?

What happens to my pet if it is picked up by Animal Control?

Please call (404) 794-0358.

All animals picked up by Animal Control Officers and brought in by constituents are held for a minimum of 7 days in order to give appropriate time for the owner to locate their animal. If the animal has a collar with address, license or phone number or microchip, every effort is made to notify the owner.

Where is a reduced pressure zone backflow preventer (RPZ) used?

An RPZ may be used on all direct connections to the potable water supply which may be subject to back pressure or back-siphonage, and where there is the possibility of contamination by the material that constitutes as a potential health hazard.

Are there any regulations in OSHA regarding cross connections?

Yes, OSHA requires that no cross connection be allowed in an installation unless it is properly protected with an approved backflow preventer. These requirements are covered in the B.O.C.A, Uniform Plumbing Code, and City, State, and Federal regulations. 

What are the 5 basic products used for backflow protection of cross connections?

  1. Air Gap
  2. Atmospheric Vacuum Breakers
  3. Pressure Vacuum Breakers
  4. Double Check Valve Assembly
  5. Reduced Pressure Zone Backflow Preventers

What factors can cause a back pressure backflow condition?

Back pressure-backflow is created whenever the downstream pressure exceeds the supply pressure which is possible in installations such as heating systems, elevated tanks, and pressure producing systems. An example would be a hot water space-heating boiler operating at 15- 20 lbs pressure coincidental with the reduction of the city supply below such pressure (or higher in commercial boilers). As water tends to flow in the direction of least resistance, a back pressure- backflow condition would be created and the contaminated boiler water would flow back into the public drinking water supply. 

What factors can cause back-siphonage?

Back-siphonage can be created when there is a stoppage of the water supply due to nearby fire-fighting, repairs or breaks in the city water mains, etc. The effect is similar to the sipping of an ice cream soda by inhaling through a straw which induces the flow in the opposite direction. 

What is a cross connection?

A cross connection is a direct arrangement of piping line which allows the potable water supply to be connected to a line which contains a contaminant and/ or pollutant. An example is the common garden hose attached to a sill cock with the end of the hose lying in a cesspool. Other examples are a garden hose attached to a service sink with the end of the hose submerged in a tub full of detergent, supply lines connected to bottom-fed tanks, supply lines to boilers, supply lines to automatic irrigation systems. 

What is back pressure?

Back pressure backflow is the reversal of normal flow in a system due to an increase in the downstream pressure above that of the supply pressure. 

What is Backflow?

Backflow is the undesirable reversal of flow of a liquid, gas, or other substance in a potable water distribution piping system as a result of a cross-connection due to back-siphonage or back pressure. 

What is back-siphonage?

Back-siphonage is the reversal of normal flow in a system caused by the negative pressure (vacuum or partial vacuum) in the supply piping. 

What is meant by degree of hazard?

The degree of hazard is a commonly used phrase utilized in cross connection programs (backflow prevention programs) and is simply a determination of whether the substance in the non-potable water supply is toxic or non-toxic. 

What is potentially dangerous about an unprotected sill cock?

The purpose of a sill cock is to permit easy attachment of a hose for outside watering purposes. However a garden hose can be extremely hazardous because they are left submerged in swimming pools, lay in elevated locations (above the sill cock) watering shrubs, chemical sprayers are attached to hoses for weed killing, etc.; and hoses are often left laying on the ground which may be contaminated with fertilizer, cesspools, and garden chemicals.

What is potentially dangerous about an unprotected sill cock?

The purpose of a sill cock is to permit easy attachment of a hose for outside watering purposes. However a garden hose can be extremely hazardous because they are left submerged in swimming pools, lay in elevated locations (above the sill cock) watering shrubs, chemical sprayers are attached to hoses for weed killing, etc.; and hoses are often left laying on the ground which may be contaminated with fertilizer, cesspools, and garden chemicals.

What is the difference between a toxic and non-toxic substance?

A toxic substance is any liquid, solid, or gas, which when introduced into a water supply creates, or may create, a danger to health and well-being of the consumer. An example is treated water boiler. A non-toxic substance is any substance that may cause a non-health hazard, is a nuisance or is aesthetically objectionable. For example, food stuff such as sugar, soda, etc. 

What is the difference between pollution and contamination?

Pollution of a water supply does not constitute as an actual health hazard, although the quality of the water is impaired with respect to taste, odor, and color. Contamination of a water supply, however, does constitute as a health hazard; the consumer being subjected to potentially lethal water borne disease or illness. 

What is the most common form of a cross connection?

The garden hose is the most common form of a cross connection. It can be easily connected to the potable water supply and used for a variety of potentially dangerous applications. 

What protection is required for sill cocks?

A hose bibb vacuum breaker should be installed on every sill cock to isolate garden hose applications thus protecting the potable water supply from contamination. 

Where is a double check backflow prevention assembly used?

A double check backflow prevention assembly may be used as protection of all direct connections through which foreign materials might enter the potable water system in concentration which would constitute a nuisance or aesthetically objectionable, such as air, steam, food, or other material which does not constitute a health hazard. 

Do I need to send a demand letter?

If the check is marked "Insufficient Funds (NSF)," or "Uncollected Funds," Georgia law requires that a demand letter meeting specified requirements be sent to the debtor by certified, registered, or statutory overnight mail prior to commencing prosecution for bad checks.

If the check is marked "Account Closed," "Not Found," or "Unable to Locate" a demand letter is recommended but not required.

The demand letter must be sent to the individual who signed the check.

If the certified, registered, or statutory overnight delivery is signed for, you must wait 10 days from the date the debtor received the letter to commence prosecution.

If the certified, registered, or statutory overnight delivery is unclaimed, it must remain unopened. You must present it to the court just as you would if you received the green certified card. 

Was the check marked NSF or ACCOUNT CLOSED?

Make sure the check is stamped by the bank.

If the check is not run through the bank within 30 days from receipt, you may not be able to file a criminal case. You may, however, be able to file a civil suit in the county where the accused resides. 

Was the check payment in full for the product or service received?

If the check was a partial payment or a payment on a loan, a credit account, or on an existing debt, it is considered an extension of credit, and not a present consideration.

Post-dated checks or agreements to hold a check knowing the funds are not available at the time, are also not a present consideration.

These situations will usually not facilitate a criminal warrant. You may file a civil suit in the county where the accused resides. 

Was the check received in Roswell?

If not, criminal action must be taken in the city or county where the check was received.

If the check was sent through the mail, it can be processed in the city or county where the receiver’s mailbox is located. 

What documentation is needed to commence prosecution?

Applicants need:

  • A copy of the demand letter
  • Proof of receipt of the demand letter or the unopened, returned envelope containing the demand letter
  • The original check 

What does Georgia law require in the demand letter?

The Official Code of Georgia sets forth the following requirements for a demand letter:

  • The check number, date of issuance, check amount, and the name of the bank
  • A demand for payment of the face value of the check. $20 or 5% of the face value of the check (whichever is greater) may be added. This amount is inclusive of warrant or citation and certified / registered mail fees
  • A demand for payment of the check amount within 10 days of receipt of the letter
  • Notice that criminal action may be taken against the debtor by the Magistrate Court , District Attorney, or Solicitor’s Office if the amounts are not paid 

What is an example of present consideration?

If, for example, a company builds a deck on a customer’s house and the customer pays in full at the time the service is performed, it is a present consideration. If the customer mails the company a check after the deck is built, it is not a present consideration. 

Has the City issued bonds before?

The City has historically issued bonds for:

  • Sidewalks
  • Drainage improvements
  • Public Safety Facilities (fire stations, police building, fire equipment)
  • Green space acquisition and park development

What does AAA bond rating mean for the City of Roswell?

The "triple A" rating is the highest possible rating that can be given to our City. Standard & Poor’s says that it only awards AAA when there is an "extremely strong capacity to meet financial commitments". This gold standard means an AAA-rated city can secure financing at lower interest rates, as there is much less risk that the money will not be repaid. 

What is a bond rating?

A bond rating is a grade given to bonds that indicates their credit quality. Independent rating services such as Standard & Poor's, Moody's and Fitch evaluate the City’s financial strength, or its ability to pay off the bond in a timely fashion.

Bond ratings are expressed as letters ranging from 'AAA', which is the highest grade, to 'C' ("junk"), which is the lowest grade.

To illustrate the bond ratings and their meaning, we'll use the Standard & Poor's format:

  • AAA and AA: High credit-quality investment grade
  • AA and BBB: Medium credit-quality investment grade
  • BB, B, CCC, CC, C: Low credit-quality (non-investment grade), or "junk bonds"
  • D: Bonds in default for non-payment of principal and/or interest

The City of Roswell’s most recent bond rating was AAA, the highest credit rating available. 

What is a bond?

A bond is a financial tool that allows the City to borrow money. The bond is used to raise money for capital investments in local projects such as streets and highways, public safety facilities, and recreation and parks services. 

Why does the City want to issue bonds at this time?

The City has identified and prioritized capital projects that provide a community or economic benefit. This is a good time to borrow money due to the historically low interest rates available. Additionally, construction costs are also favorable at this time. 

Why issue bonds and not pay as you go?

The City of Roswell is one of two cities in Georgia with a AAA bond rating. This allows the City to borrow money at extremely low interest rates. If the City chose a “pay as you go” program it would cost the City more money in the long run because construction prices continue to rise with inflation. Also if the City chose to “pay as you go” it would take multiple years to save the money to pay for the projects. 

Why would the City pay off one series of bonds issued years ago and then go back into debt?

The City has a need for capital investment in our community. By incurring debt to complete this small list of projects, the City is taking advantage of the time value of money, which means the interest on the money we are borrowing is cheaper than the inflation on the cost of construction to construct the projects. 

Can I be found liable (or sued) if I do not remove my mailbox?

Anybody can sue anyone. However, not adhering to the offer made in the letter (mailed to some affected residents in Spring 2017) alone would not be a legal basis for damages. The program is intended to improve public safety and reduce risk on our roadways.

Do I have to remove my brick or stone mailbox?

The City is making citizens aware of the City policy and is offering a FREE program to dismantle and haul off a mailbox at no charge if the homeowner would like it removed. This may be revisited in the future, but the program is currently VOLUNTARY, and the City of Roswell encourages citizens who are affected by this to participate.

How long will the City offer this program?

The City of Roswell will continue to offer this program to remove large, fixed-object mailboxes and improve safety. However, the City’s elected officials have the option to modify this program or policy at any time.

Why is the City of Roswell policy in place?

Public Safety. In late 2016, two separate harmful events occurred within the City of Roswell, in which vehicles left the roadway and struck large brick mailboxes. One of these incidents resulted in two fatalities. Generally, the roadway corridor right-of-way is kept clear of large fixed objects (trees, fences, monuments, etc.); however, mailboxes are an exception to allow for mail service. The City policy follows Federal guidelines (set by the United States Postal Service and the Federal Highway Administration) and has prohibited large, fixed-object mailboxes, as they may not break away if struck by a vehicle and could be a contributing factor in an incident or harmful event.

Will the City fine a homeowner if they do not remove their brick or stone mailbox?

The City currently does not have a plan in place to fine or issue citations if a large brick or stone-like mailbox remains in place. This approach may be revisited in the future, but no plan currently exists. This 2017 program is good-faith effort to allow citizens to become more informed and offer a low-cost solution to have their large, fixed-object mailboxes replaced.

Will the City relocate brick mailboxes to another location?

The City of Roswell will not relocate mailboxes to another location on or off city-owned right-of-way. City staff cannot make other improvements to private property to reinstall these structures. The City also cannot guarantee moving the mailbox structure without damaging them, so to avoid incurring any further cost or damages, the City is only removing them.

Do I need a permit to move a house?

Yes, a house moving permit is required to move a house in, out, or through the City of Roswell. A map of the route is required with notification to Fire, Police, Transportation, and the utility companies. 

Do I need a permit to replace my water heater?

Yes, water heaters are under the purview of the plumbing and gas codes requiring permits and inspections to ensure a safe installation. State licensing is also required if a tradesman is doing the job. 

Do I need the insulation installed for my rough-in inspection?

No, the insulation cannot be installed for the rough-in inspection; it is considered a visual obstruction and is conducted after the rough-in.

Do you accept pictures in lieu of inspections?


How do I know my contractor has done everything the City of Roswell requires?

The City of Roswell always issues either a Certificate of Completion or a Certificate of Occupancy, depending on the scope of the work, when the job has passed final inspection. It may be in a homeowners best interest to require a contractor to produce the appropriate document prior to final payment. 

How do I request an inspection?

Please send an email to to schedule a next-day inspection prior to 4:00 PM. Inspection requests received after 4:00 PM will be scheduled two days out. All inspections called in on Friday will be scheduled for the following Monday. 

What are the requirements for windows with the model energy code?

For new construction, windows are required to display the NFRC label with a U-factor of 0.50 or less and a SHGC not to exceed 0.30. 

What is necessary for a pool permit?

The City of Roswell as a packet of information specifically for pools, there are different requirements for a private pools vs. public pools. Private pools require a permit and compliance with the Standard Swimming Pool Code while a public pool requires approval with Fulton County regulations as well an approval and permits with the City of Roswell. Approval stamps from Fulton County are required on the pool drawings prior to submission to the City of Roswell. 

What is required if I want to replace my deck?

A permit is required for a new deck or replacement of an existing deck. Submit a building permit application with two copies of a site plan showing existing as well as the proposed structures. This is used to determine if the setbacks are met. 

When do I need a permit?

Any owner, authorized agent, or contractor who desires to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish, or change the occupancy of a building or structure, or to erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert, or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical, or plumbing system, the installation of which is regulated by the construction codes, or to cause any such work to be done, shall first make application to the Building Division and obtain the required permit for the work. A permit shall not be issued to an owner, who is neither a licensed contractor nor the occupant of a residential structure being altered. Routine maintenance such a painting, floor coverings, and wall paper, do not require a permit.

Why can’t I get a scheduled inspection time?

The inspection staff is limited and work as combination inspectors. The length of time an inspector might be on a job site is unpredictable therefore making it difficult to schedule set times for inspections. 

Are there any uses that are specifically prohibited as a home occupation?

The following uses are specifically prohibited as home occupations (list not all inclusive): auto sales or auto repair, restaurants; animal hospitals, veterinary clinics, kennels, or the keeping of animals; funeral homes; retail or wholesale shops; machine shops; personal service establishments; special event facilities; or lodging services. Other restrictions can be confirmed with the Planning and Zoning Division.

Do I need to include a list of all professional practitioners that work at my location?

Yes. Please provide an attached list to your renewal and the fee of $400 per practitioner who work in your location.

How do I close out my business account with the City of Roswell?

You are required to submit the Final Business Closure Form to the Business Registration Division, if you have closed or sold your business.

How is my business occupation tax calculated?

The City of Roswell business occupation tax is based on the total gross receipts of the business in combination with the most current profitability ratios, NAICS Code, administrative and regulatory fees. The current schedule of rates is available below:

Is my City of Roswell Occupation Tax Certificate transferable from one location in Roswell to another?

No. If your Roswell business relocates within the City of Roswell limits, you must first notify the City of Roswell Business Registration Division of this change.

You will be required to complete a Change of Information Form (at no additional charge) in order for the Fire Department and Panning & Zoning Division to review the new location and complete any necessary inspections.

Is my company required to have an E-Verify number?

If your company has 11 or more W-2 employees who work 35 hours or more per week and withhold payroll taxes, your company is required to have an e-verify number. To obtain an e-verify number, please go to

Please note: If you have 11 or more employees, your Occupational Business Certificate will not be issued until the city receives your E-Verify number. Your E-Verify number is 4 to 6 digits in length and must be numerical only with no alpha characters.

What are "professional licensed businesses" and can I pay the flat fee of $400?

Only practitioners listed in O.C.G.A 48-13-9(C) can pay the flat fee, which includes but are not limited to: lawyers, physicians, osteopaths, chiropractors, podiatrists, dentists, optometrists, psychologists, veterinarians, landscape architects, land surveyors, practitioners of physiotherapy, public accountants, embalmers, funeral directors, engineers, architects, marriage and family therapists, social workers, counselors, dealers of motor vehicles, etc.

Practitioners have the option to either pay the gross receipt assessment, with a $50,000 exemption or pay a flat fee of $400 per practitioner.

Professional Licensed businesses are regulated by the Georgia Secretary of State. A Georgia state license copy must be attached to the application for processing. Please visit for more information on how to obtain a Georgia Professional State License.

What are my payment options?

  • Online Payment
    Pay online at
    There is a 3% surcharge for all online credit and debit card payments and a flat $1.50 fee for all eCheck payments.

  • In Person
    At City Hall (38 Hill St, Suite G-30, Roswell, GA 30075)

  • By Mail
    Checks and Money Orders may be mailed to:
    City of Roswell
    Attn: Business Registration
    38 Hill Street, Suite G-30
    Roswell, GA 30075
  • By Phone
    Call 770-641-3799 to pay with a Credit or Debit Card.

Please note: In-person and phone credit card payments do not have a 3% surcharge.

What is Gross Receipts Tax?

Gross receipts are the total amount a business received from all sources during its annual accounting period, without subtracting any costs or expenses. Business types are categorized by NAICS (North American Industry Classification System) codes as define below. This code is assigned a profitability index which corresponds with a specific tax rate. The tax rate applied to gross receipts will determine the tax assessment. The current schedule of rates is available below:

What is my NAICS code?

The North American Industry Classification System (NAICS) is the standard used by federal statistical agencies in classifying business establishments for the purpose of collecting, analyzing, and publishing statistical data related to the U.S. business economy.

The City or Roswell will determine the correct NAICS code for all businesses. Please contact the Business Registration Division at 770-594-6235 or for assistance

What is the current Schedule of Rates?

The City of Roswell business occupation tax is based on the total gross receipts of the business in combination with the most current profitability ratios, NAICS Code, administrative and regulatory fees. The current schedule of rates is available below:

When is the deadline for Occupational Tax Certificate renewals?

Renewal applications and payments are due by December 31st of the current year. If payment is not received by March 31st, a late penalty of 10% will apply.

Renewal notifications are generally mailed out the second week in October of each year. Failure to receive a renewal notification does not relieve the business ownership of responsibility to renew the Occupation Tax Certificate.

If you do not receive a renewal notification, please contact the Business Registration Department at 770-594-6235 or

How can I get a City of Roswell W-9?

You may call Accounts Payable at 770-641-3755 and request a copy of the City of Roswell’s W-9.

How do I check on an invoice payment status?

You may inquire through Vendor Self Service, send an email to, or call 770-641-3755.

How does our business get paid for services to the City?

The City currently pays all vendors by check, once the invoice is approved for payment.

How soon will our business be paid for our services?

All payments to Vendors are made net 30.

When will I get my 1099?

1099’s are mailed out by January 31st per IRS guidelines. 

Where can I send my updated W-9?

You may submit your W-9 to the City of Roswell through Vendor Self Service or by contacting the Purchasing Division at or 770-594-6197.

Where do I mail my invoice?

The City strongly prefers to receive invoices via email at However, invoices may be sent via mail to the following address:
City of Roswell
Accounts Payable
38 Hill Street
Suite 130
Roswell, GA 30075

Who can I call about my W-9?

You may call the Purchasing Division at 770-641-3740 or send an email to

Who do I call about an invoice question?

You may call Accounts Payable at 770-641-3755.

Who do I speak to about my issued 1099?

You may call Accounts Payable at 770-641-3755.

Who gets a 1099 issued to them?

Not all vendors providing a service to the City of Roswell will be issued a 1099. The City follows the guidelines set by the IRS in issuing 1099’s.

How do I report an ordinance violation?

You can report a violation directly to the Code Enforcement Office by telephone at 770-594-6101,
emailing Code Enforcement, or by letter to:

Community Development Department
Code Enforcement Office
38 Hill St., Suite G-30
Roswell, GA 30075 

How does the Code Enforcement Office enforce the City Code?

The Code Enforcement Office enforces the code when a violation is reported or found.

In most cases the person responsible for the violation is notified of the violation, briefed on how to correct the violation in order to meet compliance requirements, and given an opportunity to correct the violation with an established time period.

If voluntary compliance efforts are unsuccessful, then the responsible person is issued a citation and ordered to appear before the Judge of the Municipal Court of Roswell. 

What is the Code Enforcement Office?

The Code Enforcement Office is a functional area within the Planning and Zoning Division of the Community Development Department. Its focus is the enforcement of the City Codes and the Zoning Ordinance through education and compliance. 

What is the Roswell City Code?

The municipal code of the City of Roswell is a municipal charter and a book of ordinances used as a tool in the administration of the City’s affairs and to create an active law for the City of Roswell.

For more information, please view the Roswell Municipal Code.

Why is the Code important?

The municipal code of the City of Roswell creates structure within the City government and protects the welfare of the citizens and the environment. The Code is accessible to all citizens on the City of Roswell website and at the Roswell Library or City Hall.

View the Roswell Municipal Code.

Are coyotes a threat to people?

Coyotes in the wild are reared to fear humans. Attacks on humans are rare. However, some coyotes in urban areas have lost their fear of humans, possibly because of living in such close proximity with people. It is best to use caution when dealing with coyotes.

Additionally, when a person comes into contact with a coyote it is important to engage in an activity that promotes the coyotes fear of humans. 

Haven't we always had coyotes in the Roswell area?

Coyotes are not indigenous to Roswell and the State of Georgia. They are originally indigenous to the southwestern United States. However, over the past 50 years they have migrated all across the United States. They were first sighted in Georgia in the late 1970s and arrived in Atlanta in the early 1990s. Coyotes can adapt and thrive in almost any rural, suburban, and urban environment. They are renowned for their keen intelligence, ability to learn (as individuals and a group), sharp eyesight, and keen sense of smell. Superb stalkers, they can reach speeds of 40 mph in two or three steps. Since they have no natural enemies (other than wolves, mountain lions, and man), their numbers are increasing nationwide. 

If the coyotes we see are trapped or killed, will the area be permanently rid of these animals?

It is important to note that no guarantee exists on the removal of coyotes from an area. Coyotes are territorial animals. Even if one pack is removed, it is likely that another will move into the area and establish it as their territory. 

If trapping is used, are the traps dangerous to pets or people?

The traps can be dangerous to dogs and cats, however the law in Roswell requires all pets be contained in a fenced area or leashed at all times when outdoors.

If a dog or cat is accidentally caught in a trap, it would be taken to Fulton County Animal Control. If it needs medical attention, Fulton County Animal Control will arrange for a vet examination and, assuming the animal is tagged, will notify the owner. Upon payment of a fine for violation of the leash law and the vet's bill, the owner can reclaim his/her dog or cat.

The foothold traps are traditionally set in remote areas by private trappers away from normal pedestrian foot traffic. Trappers should post signs within the neighborhood notifying residents the traps have been set. The foothold traps are designed to grab the foot/leg of a coyote.

It is virtually impossible for a human foot (larger than a toddler's) to be caught in this type of trap. However, if you were to accidentally step on one, when it triggered, it would feel like you stepped on a snake but it wouldn't grab you. 

If we keep our pets inside at night, won't that solve the problem?

Coyotes are primarily nocturnal, but their definition of night is not dusk to dawn. They may start hunting several hours before darkness and/or continue hunting several hours after daylight.

As a result, you can't assume that just because it is daylight, it is alright to let your pets out. Also, since they have no natural predators here, coyotes can rest or sleep just about anywhere (such as under a hedge), day or night.

Coyotes have natural tendencies, but can also be completely unpredictable. The only safe course is to keep your pets indoors and on a leash when outside. 

Is there an explanation for the increase in recent encounters?

Coyotes are territorial animals. They mark a territory of about seven square miles (or an area that is naturally bounded) and defend it against other coyotes. They patrol this territory in search of food and can be found just about anywhere in that territory at any time, day or night. This explains why sightings can be random.

Coyotes breed in January and February. The gestation period is about two months. One plausible explanation for the recent increase in sightings is that a coyote pair may have settled in Roswell neighborhoods to birth and raise their litter.

If this happens, they will establish the immediate vicinity as their primary hunting area to feed and rear their young (typically five to seven pups). 

What can we do to remove coyotes from our area?

Wildlife experts and virtually all scientific studies agree that trapping is not an effective method for coyote management. Nearly all of the studies that have been done conclude that trapping only exacerbates the problem because the remaining members of the species competitively over-breed to fill the gap that trapping creates.

Neither the Georgia Department of Natural Resources (DNR) nor the Fulton County Animal Control has the resources to remove coyotes. They provide two different avenues for controlling the coyote population: trapping / hunting and prevention.

Trapping / Hunting
The Georgia DNR has a list of private trappers who are licensed and qualified to trap and remove animals based upon the requirements in State law.

For information on preventing coyotes from frequenting your area, please view Coyote Prevention.

What do coyotes eat?

Coyotes are not finicky eaters. They will eat whatever they catch, including but not limited to rabbits, mice and other rodents, grasshoppers, watermelon, deer (mostly fawns), dog food off your back porch, house cats, small dogs, squirrels, opossums, corn, chickens, raccoons, snakes, berries, birds, road kill, and household garbage. 

What do coyotes look like?

Coyotes are a medium-sized canine. The males range from 25 to 40 pounds. Females range from 22 to 35 pounds. Coyotes may vary from reddish brown to black, but the standard color is brownish-gray, with dark highlights on the shoulders and back, and a creamy underbelly. A bushy tail is held straight behind the body. An adult coyote is 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 feet long, from nose to tail. 

Why is this issue coming up now?

Citizens have contacted staff and elected officials about coyote sightings. Although sightings may have been occurring over the past several years, the staff and elected officials are partnering with those in our community who feel a problem exists. 

Are separate permits required? If so, why?

Yes. Georgia law, O.C.G.A. 43-14, requires all persons contracting or performing for hire any plumbing, electrical, low voltage, heating-air conditioning or utility work in Georgia to be duly and currently licensed by the Georgia State Construction Industry Licensing Board for that work. The purpose of this is to regulate building and construction in the City of Roswell, to provide for the administration and enforcement of the Georgia State Minimum Standard Codes and to establish procedures for the permitting and inspection of buildings within the City of Roswell. This requirement is also required of homeowners attempting the work themselves. 

Can you expedite my permit?

All permits are reviewed for compliance with the codes and processed as quickly as possible. There is not an additional expediting process. 

How can I obtain a copy of the city of Roswell’s standard construction specifications?

The City’s Engineering Division has copies of the construction specifications as well as a plan review checklist, details, buffer regulations, and stormwater regulations. Contact the City’s Engineer with specific questions at 770-641-3780.

How do I check on the status of my permit?

You may contact a staff person within the Building Division at 770-641-3780 with your permit tracking number issued at the time of your application to check the current status. 

How do I know if I need a permit for my project?

Discuss this situation with the Community Development Department for clarification as to how your project should be handled. If the project appeared before the Design Review Board, the Historic Preservation Commission, Planning Commission, or Mayor and City Council, you will most likely need a development permit. You may need a development permit even if you obtained an administrative approval for your project.

If there is any land disturbance on the project, a grading permit will likely be required. Conversions of residential property to other uses requires all of the above, even if you think no work needs to be done.

If the property is commercial, residential development, single-family over one acre, and in some cases individual lots of a larger development, a tree removal permit is required.

Additional permits may be required from Fulton County, the Georgia DOT, and/or the Roswell Transportation Department.

If you have any additional questions, please contact the Community Development Department at 770-641-3780. 

How do I obtain a garage/yard sale permit?

Applicant must come into the Community Development office to fill out the application and receive the decal stickers. 

How long will it take to get a building permit?

All building permit applications, other than single trade permits, require plan review with a typical maximum review time of 10 business days.

Where do I direct my flood plain questions?

Flood plain questions should be directed to the Engineering Division at 770-594-6268. 

Where do I obtain a building permit?

To obtain a permit for construction in the City of Roswell, an application must be filed with the Building Department located at City Hall, Community Development, 38 Hill Street, Suite G-30, Roswell, GA 30075. Permit intake hours are 8:30 AM-4:30 PM, Monday through Friday. Office hours of operation are 8:00 AM-5:00 PM, Monday through Friday.

Who is responsible for obtaining a permit?

The owner of a property is responsible for what transpires on his/her property, but licensed contractors know that permits are required before work begins as it is a part of the test for licensing. 

Why is a building permit required?

The purpose of permitting is to ensure that the minimum code standards are being met, preserving the public's safety, health and welfare. 

Can the Comprehensive Plan be changed?

At a minimum, a plan update must be completed every 10 years, in accordance with the Local Comprehensive Plan Recertification Schedule maintained by the Georgia Department of Community Affairs. However, after five years, community leaders may determine that the comprehensive plan needs to be updated, based upon the degree of change in the community. If only minor changes have taken place, then revisions to the plan may be sufficient, in the form of plan amendments. If significant changes have occurred in community conditions (i.e., if the data upon which the plan is based has become significantly outdated, or the community’s vision has changed), an update of the comprehensive plan or a major plan amendment may be needed. Public hearings and a vote by the Mayor and City Council are required for any changes to the Plan. 

How are environmental issues addressed in the Comprehensive Plan?

The environmental element of the plan provides guidance for achieving a balance between protecting the environment and planning for the orderly development of the city. 

How do you implement a Comprehensive Plan?

There will be recommendations and implementation strategies contained within the plan which will outline short-term, mid-term, and long-term strategies. These strategies will constantly be reviewed and executed by the City and many other individuals and groups involved with growth and development in the future. 

How does this plan relate to other planning efforts?

A Comprehensive Plan is the basis for many other planning activities, such as creation of development regulations, transportation planning, park and open space planning, and economic development strategies. It provides a general framework for other, more specific planning. 

What is a Comprehensive Plan?

The Comprehensive Plan is a municipality’s road map for the future. This official, living, city-wide public document provides long range policy direction for land use, transportation, economic development, housing, public facilities, intergovernmental agreements along with its natural and cultural resources. It serves as a guide for elected and public officials by providing the framework for evaluating development proposals. Included in the Comprehensive Plan are strategies for program funding for all city departments. 

What is not considered part of a Comprehensive Plan?

A Comprehensive Plan is not a fiscal policy document; it will not provide specific dollar amounts for current or future expansion of services for the city’s needs nor will it provide specific cost/benefit information about various infrastructure improvements and taxes. It also does not include an economic impact assessment. 

What is the difference between the Comprehensive Plan and the Zoning Ordinance?

The Comprehensive Plan guides decisions regarding growth and development. It establishes policies pertaining to various elements as required by the State of Georgia. The Zoning Ordinance is part of the city’s code and regulates the use, scale, and intensity of development that are allowed in various districts. 

Why do we need a Comprehensive Plan?

The Comprehensive Plan process allows residents and local decision makers to identify and respond to changing community needs and desires in a thoughtful rather than reactive way. The new process requires representation from all the citizens and outlines implementation mechanisms.

All local governments in the State of Georgia are required to adopt a Comprehensive Plan for their locality. While Georgia does not require strict adherence to them, once adopted the plan becomes policy guides for the future growth. 

Can I always just pay the fine no matter what the charge?

No. Certain charges require a court appearance and carry a fine that is Judge imposed. 

Does the Court take checks?

Yes. Roswell Municipal Court accepts the following methods of payment: cash, personal checks (in-state with ID), money order, cashier's check, Visa, MasterCard and American Express. Depending on your charge, you may also pay online. 

How can I contact a prosecutor from the City Attorney's Office?

The City Solicitor (prosecutor) does not work for the City Attorney's Office. The Solicitor works for the Court Services Division and can be reached at 770-641-3790. 

What happens when I go to Court?

The court date you received from the police officer or jailor is your Arraignment (1st appearance) date. The Judge will make extensive announcements concerning your rights and what to expect during the 1st appearance. It is highly recommended that you attend and listen closely to the Judge's announcement. You may plead guilty and pay your fine(s) or have an opportunity to speak with the City Solicitor to discuss your case. If you plead Not Guilty, your case will not be tried on this day. You will be given a new court date which will be for your trial, and in which the police officer will be present. 

What if I don't appear at my hearing or pay my fine?

If you fail to appear for court and fail to pay your fine before your court date, you will be subjected to serious penalties. Your privilege (license) to drive will be suspended and the Court will issue a Warrant for your arrest. 

What if I miss my court date?

If you fail to appear for court and have not paid your fine prior to your court date, you will be subjected to serious penalties. Your privilege (license) to drive will be suspended and the Court will issue a Warrant for your arrest. To avoid being arrested and having your license suspended, you will be required to post a cash bond (amount of the fine) plus an additional $100 penalty for failure to appear. You will be given a new court date. If you win your case, only the fine will be refunded to you. Should you decide not to come to court or you lose your case, the bond you paid will be forfeited and the case will be closed. 

Will the Court appoint an attorney to represent me?

If you are indigent and meet the requirements, the Court may appoint an attorney to represent you. The Court does require an application and financial statement be completed and will make a decision upon review of the application. You may ask for an application when you appear for your arraignment or you may pick one up at the Court Services Office. 

Are appointments necessary?

Yes. You can schedule an appointment by calling 770-817-6070. Once you have made your first visit as a patient, you will be entered into their system. From there, you will be able to schedule appointments online. For the best service, appointments are strongly recommended. Walk-ins may be seen if there is an available appointment. Every attempt will be made to see a walk-in patient, but those with scheduled appointments will be seen first. A walk-in will be offered the next available appointment if there is not same day availability.

Can I fill my prescription at the CORE Wellness Center?

Prescriptions written and stocked at the CORE Wellness Center can be filled there. The CORE Wellness Center has a small dispensary (a type of pharmacy) that carries a limited number of generic, pre-packaged, commonly used medications. Narcotics are not carried or supplied. Brand names are not carried or supplied.

Note: Prescriptions not written at the CORE Wellness Center cannot be filled by the CORE Wellness Center.

Can I go to the CORE Wellness Center for an emergency?

No. The CORE Wellness Center is available for non-emergency services only. Dial 911 or visit a nearby emergency room if you experience an emergency situation.

Can my spouse and children visit the CORE Wellness Center?

No. At this time, it is for qualifying employees only (shown below). In the future, the intent is to include spouses who are on the medical plan. At a later date, we may include dependent children on the City's medical plan as well. This will be based on interest, need and budget, as we will need to increase the day(s) and hours at the clinic, as well as coverage by the professional medical staff.

Qualifying Employees
  • Full-time employees (whether on the City's medical plans or not)
  • Pre-65 retirees on the City's medical plan (under Cobra)
  • Cobra participants – who are former employees
  • Part-time employees who elected a City medical plan

Does the City have access to my medical information?

No. The CORE Wellness Center clinic provider, Healthstat, uses separate systems and servers. At no time will the City have access to individual patient information.

I am Medicare eligible and still work for the City. Am I eligible to be seen at the CORE Wellness Center?


Is the CORE Wellness Center considered in-network under the City's medical plans?

Yes. Our insurance company, HealthEZ, has the ability to work with the City to include our new CORE Wellness Center as an in-network provider.

What is the operating schedule for the CORE Wellness Center?

The operating hours are Tuesday's and Thursday's from 6:30 AM - 5:30 PM. Closed for lunch 11:30 AM - 12:00 PM. Not open during City of Roswell holidays.

What time is the last patient appointment at the CORE Wellness Center?

The last appointment time is at 4:30 PM on Tuesday's and Thursday's.

Where is the City of Roswell Employee (CORE) Wellness Center located?

The CORE Wellness Center is located at 250 Oak Street, Roswell, GA 30075. Oak Street dead ends at the Waller Park Recreation Center building. The clinic entrance is on the left side of the building.

Who is eligible to be seen at the CORE Wellness Center?

  • Full-time employees (whether on the City's medical plans or not)
  • Pre-65 retirees on the City's medical plan (under Cobra)
  • Cobra participants - who are former employees
  • Part-time employees who elected a City medical plan

Can I have an extra pick-up?

Yes, you can have an extra pick-up from your curbside for an extra fee (contact 770-641-3961 for more information). 

Do I have to bundle my branches?

You can stack your branches neatly at your curbside for collection. 

How do I set up service?

You can setup service by contacting City of Roswell Utility Billing Department at 770-641-3759. 

How much is residential service?

Sanitation residential service fee is $18.05 for Standard Service and $29.05 for Premium Service 

If I live in Roswell, why do I have Fulton County water / sewer?

The Roswell water plant can only service part of Roswell. Fulton County handles all other residents and all sewer lines. 

Is there a number I can call to report a water conservation violator?

Yes. During regular business hours, please call 770-641-3715. After hours, please call 770-640-4100. 

What do you pick up?

We pick up household trash items not to include construction debris or chemicals 

What kind of bulk items does the City collect?

We collect items such as appliances, furniture assortments and household trash, etc. for an extra fee. Contact 770-641-3961 for more information.

When is the next bulky trash day?

Please click on the website calendar for the next scheduled Bulky Trash Day.

Who do I contact if I have questions about trash, recycling, yard waste and other environmental questions?

Trash Collection Questions:
Roswell Sanitation Department
770-641-3807 or 770-641-3961

Recycling Questions:
Roswell Recycling Center
770-442-8822 or 770-641-3715

Yard Waste/Recycling Curbside Collection Questions:
CWS\Advanced Disposal

Environmental Questions:
Environmental/Public Works Department

Why doesn’t the trash company take TV’s curbside?

Televisions can be collected at your curbside; this item falls under large or special items collection (contact 770-641-3961 for more information) or TV’s can be taken to Roswell Recycling Center for recycling (no projection or console TVs’ are accepted).

Why doesn't the City pick up construction waste?

Construction waste does costly damage to our trucks. 

Why is there a limit on residential trash can size?

The size limit promotes more efficient, safer handling by collection staff. 

Does the City offer Homestead Exemptions?

The City of Roswell has available two homestead exemptions for homeowners age 65 or older: a $2,000 homestead exemption and a $20,000 homestead exemption for all persons with a combined adjusted gross income less than $40,000.

To qualify you must be 65 as of January 1 of the tax year for which you are applying, and you must own and reside in the home as of January 1 of the tax year for which you are applying.

Both homestead exemption amounts are based on the general millage rate only and do not include the bond millage. Applications for both homesteads must be made at Roswell City Hall, Suite 130.

Once applications are completed it is not necessary to reapply annually unless in future years the combined adjusted gross income exceeds $40,000 or the resident moves from one location in the City of Roswell to another. 

Application for Homestead Exemption: $2,000

Application for Homestead Exemption: $2,000 and $20,000

Does the City provide trash receptacles and/or recycling bins?

The City does not provide trash receptacles or recycling bins. The homeowner is responsible for obtaining his or her own trash receptacles. Garbage containers should be 32-gallon or 45-gallon metal or plastic containers with a solid bottom and tight fitting lids.

The number of containers allowed depends upon the service you have selected:

  • Standard (up to three cans per week not to exceed 100 gallons total)
  • Premium (up to six cans per week not to exceed 200 gallons total)
Community Waste Services is responsible for collecting recycling and will provide new residents with a recycling bin. 

How can I pay my tax and utility bills?

You may pay your utility bills in person at Roswell City Hall, through the US mail, over the phone by calling 770-641-3800 or online at You may use your Visa, Mastercard or American Express to pay your bill.

Property Taxes
You may pay your property tax bill in person at Roswell City Hall, through the US mail or online at You may use your Visa, Mastercard or American Express to pay your bill.

Is sanitation service included in my property tax bill?

No. Sanitation service is billed bi-monthly as a utility bill. 

Is there an interest penalty for not paying your taxes by the due date?

Yes. The penalty is a one-time charge of 10 percent plus a $1.50 late filing fee. Interest is charged (accrued) monthly at the rate of .0058 percent. The City of Roswell will also place a lien on properties for non payment of taxes. 

What forms of payments are accepted?

The City of Roswell accepts cash, checks, certified checks, money orders, or credit cards (Visa or Mastercard). The City also offers automatic bank draft option to residents having sanitation or water services.

Credit card payments are accepted:

  • In person at Roswell City Hall, Suite 130
  • Over the phone by calling 770-641-3800 and selecting Option #2
  • Online at our website through Online Services, Pay Utility Bills Online
For more information, please call 770-641-3759 or view Pay Utility Bills Online.

What happens if I do not pay my utility bill?

The City of Roswell ordinance states that the City may place a lien on your property for non payment of utility bills. 

Can I burn trash or leaves?

No, there is a No Burning Ordinance in the City of Roswell. 

Can I get a copy of a Fire Report?

Yes, if there is not an investigation.

Can the Fire Department burn the old house on my property?

No, with the completion of the new fire training facility, the Fire Department no longer uses old houses for fire training. 

Do you need an appointment to visit the Fire Museum at Roswell Fire Department Station #1?

No, the Fire Museum is open to the public from 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., seven days a week. The Fire Museum is located in Fire Station #1, 1002 Alpharetta Street, at the corner of Alpharetta Street and Norcross Street/Green Street. 

Does the Fire Department install child car seats?

Yes. The Roswell Fire Department does conduct child car seat inspections. Please contact Renetta Cheston at or call 770-641-3730 to schedule an inspection.

How can a resident sign-up with Gas South?

Simply call a Customer Care representatives at 866-762-6427 Monday-Friday 8am-8pm and Saturday 8am-3pm, send an e-mail to our team at, or visit our website for more information at

How will customers pay their Gas South bills?

Gas South will handle all customer interface: enrollment, billing, and customer care. Gas South offers numerous payment options, including payment by check, through the Gas South website, automatic bank draft or at an authorized payment location.

What benefits will City of Roswell residents receive?

City of Roswell residents qualify for a 2 cent per therm discount off Gas South's standard rate plans and they will receive a $60 discount on the connection fee if you select Gas South. In addition, Gas South never requires a deposit.

What is Gas South?

Gas South is a Georgia-based natural gas provider with a real commitment to providing great rates, outstanding customer service and strong support of the communities they serve.

What is the relationship between Gas South and City of Roswell?

The City of Roswell and Gas South have teamed up to bring residents more value for their energy dollar dollar through special savings on natural gas bills.

What is GIS?

A Geographic Information System (GIS) is a system of hardware, software, data, and the personnel needed for the storage, retrieval, mapping, and analysis of geographic (spatial) data. Spatial features are generally points, lines and polygons representing a given entity and stored in coordinate systems georeferenced to specific places on the surface of the earth. 

Where can I get a copy of a plat?

Call our department at 770-641-3780 for a copy that you can pick up or have emailed at your request. 

Where do I go for help with online mapping?

Click the help button or (?) on the interactive map page for online help with functionality of the system. 

Where do I go to turn on aerial photos?

On the interactive map click on the map content button, go to the bottom of the menu and click on the aerial photo and apply. You will see the aerial photo with the street layer. 

Where is my septic tank located?

Please call the North Fulton County Health Department at 404-332-1801. 

Where is my sewer tap located?

Please call the Fulton County Public Works Department at 404-730-7400. 

How can a golf cart (PTV) be used on City streets?

After July 1, 2015, golf carts (PTVs) may be driven on any city street posted at 25 MPH or less after registering with the City of Roswell Finance Department, providing a Certificate that the golf cart (PTV) meets City safety standards, and paying a $15 registration fee that is good for five years. Registration forms and certificates are available online here or at the Finance Department, Roswell City Hall, 38 Hill Street, Suite 210, Roswell, GA.

How can I go somewhere other than within your subdivision or street?

The Roswell Department of Transportation (RDOT) is accepting written requests for crossings (form available here). RDOT will review the requested location and if safety standards can be met, the request will be submitted to the Mayor and City Council for formal designation of the crossing. By State law, a crossing must be designated for such use, usually by a sign.

How many people may ride in a golf cart? Can children ride on someone's lap?

Passengers must be seated in factory installed seats that have hip restrains (i.e. seat belts) or handholds. Children may not ride on someone's lap.

Is insurance required?

Yes, proof of insurance is required.

What are City safety standards for golf carts (PTVs)?

State law (O.C.G.A.40-6-330(a)) states all golf cart/PTVs used on City streets must have the following: (1) a braking system; (2) a reverse warning device; (3) a removable main power switch; (4) head lamps; (5) reflex reflector; (6) tail lamps; (7) horn; (8) rearview mirror; (9) safety warning label; and, (10) hip restraints (i.e. seat belts) and handholds or a combination of both. Brake lights are required if the golf will be operated at night.

What are the rules for driving golf carts (PTV)?

The Georgia Motor Vehicle Operators Manual that enables a driver to obtain a driver’s license provides the rules for operation of vehicles (including golf carts) on the road. Golf carts (PTVs) may not be used for racing, blocking public roads, or parking (i.e. loitering) on bridges or underpasses.

What do I do if I have an accident in a golf cart (PTV)?

Report all accidents to the Roswell Police Department and call your insurance agent.

What is a "Personal Transportation Vehicle" (PTV)?

Generally, a PTV is a "golf cart" or "motorized cart." Under State Law, a PTV is any motor vehicle having no fewer than three wheels, an unladen weight of 1,300 pounds or less, and which cannot operate at more than 20 MPH. A "golf cart" by definition cannot operate at more than 15 MPH. PTVs are not power wheelchairs, scooters or any all-terrain or multi-purpose off-highway vehicle.

What is the penalty for Golf Cart Ordinance violations?

City of Roswell Code Section 22.7.10 says each violation carries a maximum fine of $200.

Where can I drive a golf cart (PTV)?

After July 1, 2015, a licensed driver may drive a golf cart (PTV) on any 25 MPH or less street in Roswell. The PTV cannot be driven on any State Highway, roadways with a posted speed limit of 30 MPH or higher, any sidewalk, or any path within the City parks including the Riverfront Path.

Who can drive a golf cart on City streets?

Any licensed driver 16 years of age or older may drive a golf cart (PTV).

Can I sign up for Social Security, Medicare, or Welfare at Roswell City Hall?

No. You must contact the specific government office to sign up for these items. 

Does the City have a job hotline?

No, City job listings are posted on the City’s website. You may come to City Hall to obtain a listing in Human Resources, Suite G-60.

Have you received my application?

An applicant can call Human Resources at 770-594-6440 to verify that an application has been received. All applications and/or resumes are entered into a database. 

Where can I get an application for a City job posting?

Applications can be obtained from Human Resources (Suite G-60) or from the City website.

Applications can be faxed or mailed to an applicant if they do not have internet access or cannot stop by City Hall during regular business hours. 

Why is there not a closing date for accepting applications posted on any of the positions listed on the website?

Applications are accepted until the position is filled. 

Can a Zoning Board decision be appealed?

Yes. Any person or persons, jointly or severally, aggrieved by any decision of the Board of Zoning Appeals with regard to a variance under the terms of the Zoning Ordinance may appeal the decision to the Fulton County Superior Court. 

Do I need a permit to build a fence?

Building permits are not normally required for fences, but if you are installing a swimming pool it is part of the swimming pool requirements which are permitted and inspected. 

How long is a rezoning, concurrent variance, or conditional use permit valid?

Final action taken on a rezoning, concurrent variance, or conditional use permit runs with the land and is valid indefinitely. The validity of these actions is only affected by the filing of a new application and subsequent action by the Mayor and City Council. 

What do I need to do to file a development review application?

All applications, which contain checklists of materials required for each, and a meeting calendar can be obtained on our website and from the Community Development Department at:
38 Hill Street
Suite G-30
Roswell, GA 30075

You may also visit our offices on the ground floor of Roswell’s City Hall.

Each applicant must complete an applicant orientation meeting prior to submitting the required documents. The Department is unable to accept an application until an orientation meeting has been held with staff. 

What do I need to do to file a Historic Preservation Commission Certificate of Appropriateness application?

All applications, which contain checklists of materials required for each, and a meeting calendar can be obtained on this website and from the Community Development Department at:
38 Hill St.
Suite G-30
Roswell, GA 30075

You may also visit our offices on the ground floor of Roswell’s City Hall.

Each applicant must complete an orientation with staff prior to submitting the required documents. The Department is unable to accept applications until staff has held an orientation meeting with the applicant.

Can I have a representative from the Police Department come to a homeowners association meeting, business, or club meeting to speak on safety issues or crime prevention?

Yes. To set up a date and time, please call the Community Relations / Crime Prevention Specialist at 770-640-4100. Please allow at least two weeks before your meeting to ensure the event can be scheduled. 

Does the Police Department check child restraint seats to make sure they are installed correctly?

Yes, the department has a certified child restraint technician. To set an appointment, please call the Community Relations / Crime Prevention Specialist at 770-640-4100. 

Does the Police Department have a procedure for reporting and responding to citizen complaints?

Yes, citizens may voice their concerns to any shift supervisor for immediate attention on an informal basis. For formal complaints, contact the Office of Professional Standards at 770-640-4100. The Department provides pamphlets explaining the process. 

Does the Police Department offer programs for youth?

Yes, the Roswell Police Explorers, part of the Boy Scouts of America, is available for boys and girls ages 14 – 20. For more information, call 770-640-4115. 

How can I report suspicious activity?

The Police Department Special Investigation Section accepts complaints at 770-640-4260. Information may be given anonymously. For immediate response, contact the Communications Division at 770-640-4100. 

At what dollar amount does the City have to do sealed bids?

The City must do sealed bids at $25,000. 

Do all sealed bids have to be advertised in the paper?

Only sealed bids that are $25,000 or more must be advertised in the paper. 

How long does a bid have to be advertised?

A bid must be advertised a minimum of three weeks if it is over $25,000. If it is a grant-funded project over $100,000, then it must be advertised for four weeks

How do I reserve a park for a private event?

While we are unable to reserve an entire park for a private event, we do have shelters and pavilions that can be rented in various parks around Roswell. To check availability and make reservations for a shelter or pavilion, please visit

I would like to deduct my summer camp expenses from my taxes. What is the Tax ID number?

The City of Roswell’s Tax ID number is 586-00-0655.
However, we strongly advise that you consult a tax professional as the City of Roswell Recreation, Parks, Historic and Cultural Affairs Department is not a daycare service, and the IRS may not accept a these costs as a legitimate expenses on tax returns.

Who can I contact to sponsor a Recreation and Parks event?

Katie Troline, Community & Facility Services Manager (770) 641-3705

Who can I contact to volunteer to help with an event or program?

Please visit our website at www. and click on Recreation & Parks and to view our online brochure and see what programs are being offered, as well as register for the program. You may also call 770-641-3705 for information on programs and any available volunteer opportunities.

Who do I call to rent an athletic field for an event?

Jonathan King, Rentals Coordinator 770-641-3706

Can I Pre-Registering for a Continuing Activity?

If you are currently enrolled in a program that started during the fall/winter session and continues into the spring session, you can be enroll for the spring session before the registration dates listed above. If you were not enrolled during the fall/winter session, you will be required to wait for the spring registration dates. We are sorry for any inconvenience, but there are no exceptions.

Do I Qualify as a Resident?

Residents are those who live within the incorporated city limits of Roswell. If you have a question about whether you meet resident criteria, please call us at 770-641-3705. Only Roswell residents may register during the first week of registration. Non-residents may begin to register during the open enrollment period.

Do I Qualify for Fee Waiver?

Certain Roswell residents age 18 and under may qualify for a total or partial fee waiver. For more information on this program, please call 770-641-3705. If you do qualify for the fee waiver, you must apply in person at the Recreation and Parks Department’s administrative office, 38 Hill Street, Suite 100, prior to registering for an activity.

How Do I Request a Refund or Change Classes?

The refund request and class change request form is available here. Forms are also available at all recreation centers and can be dropped off at any recreation center or mailed to:

Roswell Recreation and Parks Office
Roswell City Hall
38 Hill St.
Suite 100
Roswell, GA 30075

Refund Request Fees:

  • A minimum $10 fee will be charged for each refund request.
  • A fee equal to 25 percent of the activity fee will be charged if the refund is requested
  • 1–5 business days before the start of the activity.
  • A fee equal to 50 percent of the activity fee will be charged if a refund is requested on the start date of the activity and before the second meeting date.

Class Change Request Fee

  • A fee of $5 will be charged for any class change requests.

Please Note: For athletic programs, tryouts are considered the starting date and the first practice is considered the second meeting date.

Can someone do court-ordered community service or volunteer at the Center?

Yes. Please call 770-442-8822 for more information and to schedule hours. 

Do you pay for recyclables such as aluminum cans or other metal?

No, we do not buy any recyclables. 

How do I get a recycling bin or a replacement recycling bin?

Call Advanced Disposal for recycling bins at 678-240-9137. Advanced Disposal contracts with the City of Roswell for curbside recycling. 

What are the requirements for recycling fluorescent bulbs?

Roswell residents (proof required) may bring up to five (5) 4 foot tube or u-shaped fluorescent bulbs per person per vehicle to the Recycling Center any time during regular operating hours. 

What are the requirements for recycling paint?

Roswell residents (proof required) may bring residential quantities (one load of what fits in the trunk of a car, the back of an SUV or minivan or up to a single layer of containers in the bed of a pick-up truck) of liquid latex/oil based paint (not dried out or mixed with cat box filler) in the original can with the original readable label on it. No leaking cans will be accepted. 

What are the requirements for shredding?

Roswell residents (proof required) may bring up to two bankers boxes or copy paper-sized boxes of documents (or the equivalent) per vehicle per day any time the Recycling Center is open. Staples do not need to be removed but please remove all metal larger than a staple, all file folders, thick booklets, rubber bands, and plastic or laminated cards. Residents may watch documents being shredded from 1:00 to 4:00 p.m., Tuesday through Saturday. Documents brought other times will be placed in a locked container until the documents can be shredded. 

What do you accept for recycling?

See the Recycling Center Brochure for an extensive list of what is accepted. Or, feel free to call the Recycling Center at 770-442-8822 with any questions.

What items are NOT accepted?

Chemicals and fuels (also known as Household Hazardous Waste), single-use alkaline batteries, mattresses and box springs, rear projection or wood console televisions, porcelain such as toilets, etc., wood or other construction debris. Please call 770-442-8822 with questions about a specific item before bringing it to the Recycling Center. The Center does accept paint, motor oil, anti-freeze and vegetable oil – these things are considered Household  Hazardous Waste.

What items carry a fee for non-residents?

Non-Roswell Resident Fees Apply for the Following:

  • Televisions (Flat Screen or CRT): $20/each
  • Monitors (Flat Screen of CRT): $20/each
  • Tires - off the rim: $2/each (Max 4)
  • Tires - on the rim: $15/each (Max 4)
  • Appliances with Freon: $20/each
  • Appliances without Freon: $10/each

Exact change cash or check accepted. No credit or debit cards.

What services are available only to Roswell residents?

  • Document/Paper Shredding
  • Paint recycling
  • Fluorescent bulb recycling
  • Polystyrene recycling

Are dogs allowed?

Yes! Riverside Park is a dog friendly park.

Are there restrictions on chairs, coolers, etc.?

No, we don't restrict, cooler size or chairs. Most patrons bring outdoor chairs or blankets to sit on.

Can I bring a tent?

No, a tent would restrict the view of other guests so we don't allow them at the concert, but if you get there early you can get a spot shaded by the trees.

Can you bring in food and alcohol?

Yes! You can bring in your own food and alcohol for Riverside Sounds concerts.

Do you charge admission for the concerts?

No! The Riverside Sounds concerts are completely FREE of charge thanks to the City of Roswell and our sponsors.

How early can I get to the concerts?

The park is open to the public all day. We don't restrict when you can come and set up your chairs to get a good seat for that night's concert.

Is there food available for purchase?

Yes! We have partnered with Meating Street Barbeque for each concert. They are all in place no later than 6:00 PM.

Where can I park?

There is a parking lot at Riverside Park that is free. Once that parking lot fills up there is a gravel lot right next to the park that is also free.

Do I need a permit if I am interested in having temporary signs or banners advertising my event?

If you would like to have temporary signs or banners advertising the event, please complete the temporary sign permit application and submit it to the Community Development Department in Suite G-30 at City Hall.

If I am interested in a run/walk on the trail system what is the maximum number of participants I may have?

If you are interested in a run/walk on the trail system, you may have no more than 250 runners/walkers. 

What about recycling and trash at my event?

The City of Roswell has a mobile recycling trailer that provides containers to recycle plastic bottles and aluminum cans. This trailer can be borrowed by event organizers/applicants who would then be responsible for placing the recycling containers at the event, changing the bags when they are full and notifying the attendees that recycling is available during the event.

The City of Roswell can also provide cardboard trash receptacles for $3 each. The event organizer/applicant is responsible for bags to put in the boxes and disposal of the trash.

To make arrangements for use of the mobile recycling trailer or to purchase trash boxes, please contact the Roswell Recycling Center at 770-442-8822 or

What if I am interested in serving alcohol at my event?

If alcohol will be served or sold at the event, please call 770-594-6185. An Alcoholic Beverage Catering Permit may be required. Off duty officers may also be required at your event. 

What if I will be serving or selling food at my event?

If you will be serving or selling food at your event, please contact the North Fulton County Health and Wellness Department at 404-332-1801 to discuss their requirements. 

What type of insurance is required if I am using a city facility, park, trail or street for my event?

If you will be using a city hall facility, park, trail or streets for your event, you will need to provide a Certificate of Insurance documenting a minimum of $1,000,000 in liability insurance and list the City of Roswell, and its employees, agents and servants as additional insured. 

What is the purpose of the stormwater utility?

The purpose of a stormwater utility is to provide dedicated funds specifically to the City of Roswell’s Stormwater Management Program.

Can I reduce my fee?

There are ways to reduce the fee though the Stormwater Utility Credit Manual. Download the manual here to review.

How are stormwater utility fees calculated?

Stormwater utility fees are calculated based on the amount of impervious surface of each property.

How does the City determine impervious surface for each property?

The City has aerial photographs and maps, which allow the City to determine the impervious area of properties in Roswell.

How much is the fee?

The average home in the City of Roswell will pay approximately $3.95 per month to fund the Stormwater Management Program.

Is it possible to receive a reduction in my fee?

Reduction in fees, otherwise known as an adjustment or credit, will be considered for residential, commercial, and industrial properties.

Since I am paying a stormwater utility fee, can I make a request for an issue near my home?

Yes, it is important for residents to report issues to the appropriate City staff for investigation.

What is a stormwater utility?

A stormwater utility is a method of generating the required funds to cover the expense of operating the City of Roswell’s Stormwater Management program.

What is considered an impervious surface?

Impervious surfaces are those areas that prevent rainfall from infiltrating into the ground. Examples of typical impervious surfaces found on most properties include rooftops, driveways, sidewalks, patios, parking lots, and storage sheds.

Why is stormwater important?

Stormwater management helps ensure clean drinking water for the citizens of our City and State and is mandated by the Clean Water Act of 1972.

Why is the stormwater utility fee based on impervious surfaces?

Impervious areas cause stormwater to run-off into streams and rivers rather than soaking into the ground and recharging the water table. The City is required to manage the stormwater runoff.

What was the focus while creating the SEDP?

The SEDP process was guided by three canons established by both the City Council and the Advisory Committee:
• the retention of existing jobs;
• the expansion of existing businesses; and
• the attraction of new investment and jobs to Roswell.

How was the SEDP created?

The first step was to identify how the Advisory Committee defined economic development and to specify their collective interpretation of success. Concurrently, the City's consultants, RKG Associates Team, performed a detailed analytical assessment of the current and projected opportunities and constraints affecting the potential to achieve the defined vision. Finally, the SEDP document was created to provide the collaborative results of the Advisory Committee, City staff and the Consultant team working together to identify implementation approaches relevant to and achievable within Roswell.

How will the SEDP be used?

The SEDP is a “menu” of actions tailored to Roswell based on the inclusive vision of the Advisory Committee. However, the SEDP also provides detailed technical documentation explaining the rationale behind the implementation recommendations. The Strategic Economic Development Plan only is the first step towards implementing a coordinated, strategic action plan.

What are Roswell’s current market opportunities?

Housing: There is large demand for affordable, market rate, and luxury rental housing in Roswell and North Fulton County. Without some regulatory and market changes, Roswell’s population may increase more slowly than the rest of the region and erode the competitiveness of Roswell’s commercial market.

Retail Redevelopment: Although Roswell currently is over-supplied in retail space, many of the larger, less competitive sites have the potential for redevelopment. These sites can become transformative projects that increase consumer spending (through new residential development) and decrease the excess retail space (through smaller retail footprints) benefiting all retailers. Selective redevelopment also will improve the viability of the remaining retail developments, as the decreased supply will stabilize rent rates and financial performance.

Class A Office: There will be opportunities as the economy recovers to support Class “A” office development in Roswell at strategic locations. The Holcomb Bridge/400 intersection has development and redevelopment potential to accommodate a substantial amount of new office development. GA9 between the Founder’s Square and Holcomb Bridge/Crossville intersection can accommodate smaller-scale office development (when the market can support new development).

Industrial: The industrial market has immediate opportunities for new development in Roswell. Data indicate much more demand for warehouse and flex space in North Fulton County than there is supply. It is important to balance immediate benefits from industrial development with longer-term opportunities consistent with the stated vision.

Lodging: There may be a market for a hotel type that does not already exist in the Roswell market. A bed & breakfast style concept has been proposed in the Founder’s Square/Canton Street area. This smaller-scale, market niche approach is more feasible than a traditional hotel development and capitalizes on the unique character of this area of Roswell. The City should also encourage new hotel development (in the mid- to long-term) in the areas closest to GA400, as these uses are complementary to the office potential and are strong tax revenue generators.

What are the City’s goals for economic development?

The operational goals, which focus on having an economic development effort that maximizes the City’s ability to leverage its resources, are:
• To increase the awareness, understanding and support for economic development within Roswell;
• To establish the City as a partner in economic development, and
• To enhance Roswell’s economic and fiscal health within context of the North Fulton County market.
The implementation goals, which reflect the expectations the Advisory Committee has established, are:
• To promote the retention and expansion of existing Roswell businesses;
• To cultivate the entrepreneurial spirit of Roswell residents; and
• To foster a market climate attractive to a variety of business sizes and interests.

What economic development issues does the City face?

There is a limited amount of land which has not yet been developed, so future growth will likely require some component of redevelopment. Roswell’s regulations on development are not conducive to redevelopment. Higher density is necessary to make redevelopment fiscally viable and to allow multi-family housing, which is a common component in redevelopment efforts.

What new industries are recommended for Roswell?

Healthcare: Roswell is an ideal location for the expansion of healthcare-related industries. Roswell has a comparatively more mature population that is believed to have a strong desire to age in place. As this population continues to age into their senior years, the demand for medical services likely will increase.

Tech and Corporate: Roswell’s quality of life and ideal location along Georgia 400 make the City very competitive to attract and retain technical, research, consulting, and corporate operations companies, ranging in size from 1-person firms to having thousands of employees.

Entertainment and Recreation: Creating a more diverse and integrated entertainment and recreation industry cluster is consistent with both the stated and implied vision established by the comprehensive plan, this economic development strategy, and numerous previous studies performed for the City. The dining segment has a valuable, but small presence (i.e. Canton Street) that can be expanded. One or more of the historic homes could be an ideal bed and breakfast venue. Other opportunities include expanding community-serving retail and sporting venues (i.e. soccer or softball tournaments).

What’s next?

The next step should be to vet the results with leadership priorities, financial resource availability, and technical capacity. The vetting process should yield a more concrete, workable plan of the most valued and achievable parts of the strategic plan. This annual action plan should then be periodically reviewed and edited for compatibility with the larger vision of the SEDP. This SEDP should not be viewed as the first and final economic development plan for Roswell. The strategy should be reviewed every 5-10 years to accommodate successes, identify new/modified courses of action and calibrate for new market/community climate, and reviewed more frequently in times of extreme market or community transition (i.e. the recent economic downturn).

Why can’t the City continue with the same economic development strategy that has been used in the past?

Previous economic development efforts are not sufficient to position Roswell to succeed in the current economic and market climate of North Fulton County and the entire metropolitan Atlanta area. Those who desire to keep their community ‘the same’ oftentimes do not understand that things have remained the same because their community experienced economic growth. For example, the ability to maintain and operate excellent parks and recreation amenities requires a growing revenue base. Roswell sustained its fiscal strength and high quality of life through real property appreciation and county-wide retail sales tax revenue growth. Since then, Roswell’s economic viability has suffered from market evolution and market competitiveness.

Do I have a say in what my new street name will be?

Every attempt has been made to retain the integrity of the same or similar street name as before with added identifiers for distinction. The City welcomes your input.

How did the street names become an issue?

City emergency responders determined that there were issues in timely responding to calls based on miscommunication of similar sounding street names.

How long will it take the City to transition to the new street names?

After the community meetings, an agenda request is prepared for the City Council to decide if the street name change should be presented in a public hearing. If the decision is to proceed then the public hearing is advertised at least 15 days before but no more than 30 days prior. Transportation will post signs advertising the public hearing and Community Development will mail notices to affective property owners both must occur 15 days prior to the public hearing.

After approving a street name change, the City Council will set an effective date for the name change. The effective date will be at least 90 days following the date of approval.

How will this change impact me?

These changes will enable emergency responders to assist you in a more timely manner in the event of future emergency situations. However, you will need to notify all service providers, financial institutions, employers, schools, etc. of the change.

When will I be notified of my new street name?

After a street name change is approved, the Department of Planning and Zoning (Community Development) will revise plats and street numbering, as necessary, and advise all affected public agencies and property owners in writing of the name change and effective date.

Why is my street being renamed?

Due to land acquisitions, annexations and the creation of new subdivisions, the City has experienced an increase in our street inventory which has created some street naming issues that the City must address for public safety.

Will my street number remain the same?

Your house number should remain the same.

Does the City have a policy to help neighborhoods control speeders?

The City has two policies to help. First, our Neighborhood Traffic Calming Policy was established for this reason. It has a method for the neighborhood to implement approved measures that will encourage vehicles to drive slower. It requires a 50% cost sharing between the City and the Homeowner Association (HOA) and a 65% majority in favor of any traffic calming measures through a petition process.

The second policy, called the Residential Traffic Control Enhancement Policy, allows HOAs to use their own funds to purchase and install minor traffic control devices under a Right-Of-Way (ROW) Encroachment Permit issued by RDOT. Contact the Roswell DOT for more information.

How are speed limits set?

There are specific guidelines that must be followed to legally establish and enforce speed limits. Speed limits between 25 and 65 MPH are required to be established on the basis of engineering and traffic surveys. The engineering and traffic surveys include an analysis of roadway conditions, collisions records, and a sampling of the prevailing speed along the subject corridor. The speed limit is generally set within 5 MPH of the prevailing speed as it is assumed the majority of drivers drive at a speed that is safe and prudent for the given roadway and conditions. If posted speed limits are set artificially low, there is disrespect for the speed limits and if they are not set in accordance with the law, they cannot be enforced by the Police Department.

How can I get a speed limit lowered on my street?

Contact RDOT at 770-594-6420 or submit a Citizen's Request here. A study will be scheduled to determine if the intersection meets national guidelines for the installation of a STOP sign as set forth in the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD). Please note the MUTCD prohibits the use of STOP signs for speed control.

How do I get a STOP sign installed on my street?

Contact RDOT at 770-594-6420 or submit a Citizen's Request here. A study will be scheduled to determine if the intersection meets national guidelines for the installation of a STOP sign as set forth in the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD). Please note the MUTCD prohibits the use of STOP signs for speed control.

How do I report a damaged or missing traffic sign?

Contact the RDOT at 770-594-6420 or submit a Citizen's Request here.

How do I report a malfunctioning or damaged traffic signal?

Contact RDOT at 770-594-6420 or submit a Citizen's Request here.

How do I report a streetlight that is out?

Contact RDOT at 770-594-6420 or submit a Citizen's Request here.

How do I report potholes, downed trees, dead animals, flooding, ice patches, or other similar hazards present in the roadway?

There are two ways to report these issues. You can call RDOT at 770-594-6420 or submit a Citizen's Request here.

How frequently are the streets cleaned?

Streets are cleaned every nine to 12 weeks.

I have a question that isn't answered here. Who can I contact to get it answered?

If you have a question not listed here or not answered to your satisfaction, call the Roswell Department of Transportation at 770-594-6420 or email us.

I have a visibility concern at an intersection. How do I report it?

Contact RDOT at 770-594-6420 or submit a Citizen's Request here. A study will be scheduled to determine if the intersection meets national guidelines for the installation of a STOP sign as set forth in the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD). Please note the MUTCD prohibits the use of STOP signs for speed control.

What are those cables you see stretched across the roadway?

They are actually tubes that you see in the roadway, or across specific lanes, to collect traffic volume and speed data. Although much of the traffic data is collected through other means, it is sometimes necessary to have tubes put on a street for an engineering study or to update the traffic count maps. Typically, tubes are put out for a week or so and are removed once the data has been collected.

What is the right-of-way along my road?

Subdivision Parcel – Community Development will have the final plats for subdivisions within the City. The plat will indicate the existing right-of-way.

Non-subdivision Parcel – Community Development has individual files for properties, based on street addresses, which should have a plat of the property with the existing right-of-way at the time of the survey. The right-of-way may have changed over time particularly if a road improvement took place after the property survey was generated.

No Right-of-Way Available – Contact a survey company to provide up-to-date and legally binding parcel boundaries which include road right-of-way widths.

When will my road be resurfaced?

The City routinely collects and tracks pavement ratings for all City streets and prioritizes what streets will be paved during each paving season (April-October). In addition, the City receives money from the Georgia DOT to pave small segments of roadway. The roadways needing paving are prioritized from the City Pavement Management System. If a roadway has low pavement rankings, the repaving of that road will be higher in priority. The amount of annual paving varies on the amount of available funding. Contact the Roswell DOT at 770-594-6420 for more information or to find out information on your street.

Who determines the traffic signal timing?

Traffic signal timing is determined by the Roswell DOT on City streets (i.e. Pine Grove Road, Woodstock Road). The Georgia Department of Transportation determines the timing for signals along the state routes (i.e. SR 9, SR 120, SR 140).

Will my road be widened in the future?

Any proposed road widening projects will be included in the Transportation Master Plan and/or the Atlanta Regional Commission’s Transportation Improvement Program (short-range) or the Regional Transportation Plan (long-range). To review City projects included in the ARC's documents, visit

Are there items that are exempt from taxation?

Yes, there are six items that are exempt from taxation in the law. (See O.C.G.A 48-8-269.96 and O.C.G.A
(1) The sale or use of any type of fuel used for off-road heavy-duty equipment, off-road farm or agricultural equipment, or locomotives;
(2) The sale or use of jet fuel to or by a qualifying airline at a qualifying airport;
(3) The sale or use of fuel that is used for propulsion of motor vehicles on the public highways;
(4) The sale or use of energy used in the manufacturing or processing of tangible goods primarily for resale;
(5) The sale or use of motor fuel as defined under paragraph (9) of Code Section 48-9-2 for public mass transit; or
(6) The purchase or lease of any motor vehicle pursuant to Code Section 48-5C-1

Can the tax be renewed at the end of the five (5) year period?

Yes, the tax can be renewed following the same process. This process can occur while the current tax is still being collected.

How are funds distributed?

The funds collected from the tax will be distributed based on population.

How can the money be spent?

Funds can only be spent on transportation purposes such as roads, bridges, sidewalks, bicycle paths, etc. and all infrastructure and services necessary to provide access to transportation facilities. (See O.S.G.A 48-8-260(5))

How long will the T-SPLOST last?

The tax will be collected for five (5) years.

How much will it cost?

The Fulton County T-SPLOST proposal is for a 0.75% sales tax, or ¾ of a penny. It is estimated that up to $655 million could be raised for the 13 participating cities and unincorporated Fulton County, outside the City of Atlanta.

Is Public Transit Funding Part of November’s T-SPLOST Referendum for Cities Outside of Atlanta?

No, the T-SPLOST referendum that Fulton County residents outside of the City of Atlanta will vote on in November is a .75 percent (3/4 of a penny) tax that would fund transportation improvements, not including mass transit. However, a separate referendum to consider an additional .25 percent (1/4 of a penny) for extending mass transit may be proposed in the future.

What does Roswell plan to do with its share of the T-SPLOST?

Roswell’s estimated share of the T-SPLOST is $93 million. This money would first be used on Tier 1 projects such as Big Creek Parkway and the Historic Gateway project. For a full list of Roswell’s projects, please go here.

What does the ballot question look like outside the City of Atlanta?

SAMPLE BALLOT: Shall an additional 0.75 percent sales tax be collected in part of FULTON County OUTSIDE OF THE CITY OF ATLANTA for FIVE years for the purpose of transportation improvements and congestion reduction? (See O.C.G.A 48-8-269.9)

What is a T-SPLOST?

T-SPLOST stands for Transportation Special Purpose Local Option Sales Tax. It is a sales tax that will be paid on taxable goods and services in Fulton County. All funds collected would be used specifically for transportation improvements throughout Fulton County. The sales tax would be in place for five (5) years.

When will the T-SPLOST collection begin?

If approved by voters on November 8, collection will begin on the first day of the calendar quarter following an 80 day period after the vote. Collection will start on April 1, 2017. (See O.C.G.A 48-8269.91(a)(1)and OCGA 48-8-269.997(a)(1))

When will the vote take place?

November 8, 2016.

Who will pay the sales tax?

The sales tax will be paid by anyone who buys taxable products or services in Fulton County, outside the city limits of Atlanta. This includes tourists, visitors, businesses and residents.

Why do we need it?

Fulton County residents have identified transportation congestion and relief as the single most important issue facing Metro Atlanta. In addition to congestion relief, there is an added benefit of improving the economic vitality of our community, which should make Fulton County and its municipalities more competitive in attracting businesses and relieving the tax burden on residential properties. There are also opportunities to leverage local T-SPLOST funds with federal, state and other local dollars to bring even more needed projects to our community.

Will the tax cause GDOT to give less money to the City?

No. The code approved by the legislature specifically stipulates that the proceeds of this tax are not subject to any balancing formulas used by GDOT. The Code also clearly states that the funds raised by T-SPLOST shall in no way diminish the percentage of state or federal funds allocated to the City. (See O.C.G.A 48-9-269.95 and O.C.G.A 48-8-269.9992)

Does the UDC affect the whole city or just certain areas?

The UDC applies to the entire City.

Does the UDC allow the development of tall buildings within the city?

Under the proposed UDC, 94 percent of the land area within the city will remain 3 stories or less. Six percent of the land area in the City will be designated between four and eight story buildings with the proposed UDC. These properties are located predominately in corridors such as Alpharetta Highway and Holcomb Bridge Road, and nodes such as the SR 400 interchange.

How does the UDC help economic development in Roswell?

By providing clearer development regulations, the City will be able to attract more economic activity to the area.

How will the UDC help the redevelopment of areas that need it in Roswell?

The UDC can encourage the redevelopment of existing properties by clarifying the rules that will apply, by streamlining permitting processes, and by providing the right types of incentives (such as reduced parking).

I live in a nice subdivision in Roswell. How is the UDC going to affect my neighborhood?

The UDC is not likely to have a significant impact in the stable residential areas. Much of the focus will be on the corridors and nodes noted in the Plan. However the UDC may provide additional options to deal with future housing demands.

Roswell has some run down strip centers. Will the UDC help improve these centers?

The UDC can encourage strip center owners to redevelop or improve their properties by making available increased development opportunities and a wider range of uses on their properties. Rules for expansion of these sites will also ensure improvement of existing centers over time.

What does the City hope the UDC will accomplish for Roswell?

City leaders believe the UDC will make the community more economically competitive by increasing the certainty of the development process. Leaders also believe it creates a better user experience for applicants, neighbors, staff and elected and appointed officials.

What is a Unified Development Code?

A Unified Development Code is a regulatory tool that integrates zoning, subdivision and design standards into a single, comprehensive set of regulations.

Will the UDC adversely affect the City’s infrastructure such as the stormwater system, sewer and water lines?

The UDC is intended to mirror the Comprehensive Plan which sets up the framework for density/intensity, along with infrastructure needs to serve development. The UDC follows after the Comprehensive Plan. With regard to stormwater, as more new development occurs, individual sites may provide enhanced stormwater controls, thereby improving the City’s ability to manage stormwater from other existing sites.

Will the UDC affect property taxes?

No. The UDC will not affect property taxes. It is simply a zoning tool.

Will the UDC change the character of our community? If so, how?

The character of Roswell’s many stable residential areas will not change. The architectural and urban design standards included in the UDC are meant to create or enhance the distinctive character of the City. Where redevelopment is desired, the new UDC will help ensure quality development occurs.

Will the UDC increase property values in Roswell?

The UDC itself is not responsible for property values; however, it can promote quality development, which in turn supports increased property values.

Won’t the UDC allow developers to build whatever they want and the City will have no control over what they build? How can that be a good thing for Roswell?

Like any city rules, the UDC seeks to balance the desires of developers and existing residents and business owners. Since the City adopts the UDC, it has complete control over what developers are allowed to build. The new UDC will seek to make projects that match the community’s desires as expressed in the Comprehensive Plan easier to develop, and varying or ignoring those rules more difficult.

Won’t the UDC bring more apartments or apartment complexes into Roswell?

Not one more apartment than is allowed now under the current zoning code can be built under the UDC without it going through the public hearing process.

Properties that are currently zoned for apartments will retain their zoning designation.

Under the UDC, if apartment complex property owners wish to redevelop their property and increase the number of apartments, they must go before Mayor & Council through the public hearing process just as they do under the current zoning code.

Under the UDC’s new Mixed-Use categories if apartments are proposed to be built, they must go before Mayor & Council through the public hearing process just as they do today under the current zoning code.

Can I pressure wash my house?

Yes. For more information, please visit

Can I use my irrigation system?


Non-Drought Schedule
The Georgia Water Stewardship Act went into effect statewide on June 2, 2010. It allows daily outdoor watering for purposes of planting, growing, managing, or maintaining ground cover, trees, shrubs, or other plants only between the hours of 4 p.m. and 10 a.m. by anyone whose water is supplied by a water system permitted by the Environmental Protection Division.

The following outdoor water uses also are allowed daily at any time of the day by anyone:
  • Commercial agricultural operations as defined in Code Section 1-3-3;
  • Capture and reuse of cooling system condensate or storm water in compliance with applicable local ordinances and state guidelines;
  • Reuse of gray water in compliance with Code Section 31-3-5.2 and applicable local board of health regulations adopted pursuant thereto;
  • Use of reclaimed waste water by a designated user from a system permitted by the Environmental Protection Division of the department to provide reclaimed waste water;
  • Irrigation of personal food gardens;
  • Irrigation of new and replanted plant, seed, or turf in landscapes, golf courses, or sports turf fields during installation and for a period of 30 days immediately following the date of installation;
  • Drip irrigation or irrigation using soaker hoses;
  • Handwatering with a hose with automatic cutoff or handheld container;
  • Use of water withdrawn from private water wells or surface water by an owner or operator of property if such well or surface water is on said property;
  • Irrigation of horticultural crops held for sale, resale, or installation;
  • Irrigation of athletic fields, golf courses, or public turf grass recreational areas;
  • Installation, maintenance, or calibration of irrigation systems; or
  • Hydroseeding.
For more information, please visit

Can I wash my car?

Yes. For more information, please visit