OverviewThe Roswell Fire Department’s Fire Marshal’s Office has the responsibility of conducting many various types of fire safety inspections. These inspections are conducted to ensure that the applicable codes and standards are being followed. The Fire Marshal’s Office is currently enforcing the following codes and standards:
- 2018 Life Safety Code with State of Georgia Amendments
- 2018 International Fire Code with State of Georgia Amendments
- All applicable National Fire Protection Association standards as adopted by the State of GA
Types of Fire Inspections
The goal of the Roswell Fire Marshal’s Office to conduct fire and life safety inspections in an effort to eliminate as many fire and life safety hazards as possible. However, everyone must understand their role in fire and life safety.
As a community, we need to realize that fire can strike anyone at anytime. Please do your part at home and in your business to continue to make Roswell a fire safe city.
Contact UsTo report fire hazards or for information, please call us at 770-641-3730.
Annual Inspection ProcessDuring this inspection, any code violations that are noted will be communicated to a representative of the business at the time of the inspection. An inspection report will also be mailed to that business. We strongly encourage all businesses to comply with the correction requirements, as these may be serious life safety hazards. Our goal is to make all locations safe.
ApplicationsApplications can be obtained through the Financial Services Division of the Community Development Department. This form will be forwarded to the Fire Marshal’s Office to process your inspection request. You will be contacted by an Assistant Fire Marshal to set up an appointment to inspect your location.
- 80% - Inspect and verify fire-rated assemblies (if applicable)
- 100% - When all work is complete and approved by this office prior to occupancy
- Sprinkler System Inspection 80% - We will inspect piping, hangers, and valves before ceiling is installed
- Sprinkler system 100% - Installation is complete, all acceptance tests have been conducted by the sprinkler company, above ground and underground materials test certificates have been provided to the inspector, and the system monitoring is operational and tested
Scheduling New Construction InspectionsNew construction inspections are scheduled 24 hours in advance of the inspection. Please contact our office 24 hours prior to the desired time of inspection at 770-641-3730.
Required Code & Standards Compliance InspectionsThe following are inspected to ensure compliance with applicable codes and standards:
- Fixed suppression systems
- Fire alarms
- Grease hoods
We witness the required manufacturer's tests for the above items. Certification letters and test documentation are collected by our Assistant Fire Marshals and filed.
Items Requiring InspectionsThe Fire Marshal’s Office requires certification letters and test documentation on the following:
- Sprinkler installation or alteration
- Fire alarms
- Grease hoods
- Underground and above-ground piping
- Fixed fire suppression systems
- Most any other auxiliary equipment that is installed in a building
Special/Courtesy InspectionsSpecial or courtesy inspections will be conducted any time a suspected fire or life safety hazard is reported to our office.
From time to time, a representative from the Fire Marshal's Office will visit a construction site to verify requirements set forth during the plan review process. These may include Fire Department access, fire hydrant visibility, access, and location.
Underground fire main inspections are conducted by the Fire Department. We will inspect for proper pipe size, location, and size of thrust blocking.