Fire Department History
Early Fire Stations
Roswell's first fire station, located on Elizabeth Way in the old
Citizens Bank building, was rented for $10 per month in 1937 for use as
an office for the clerk and storing the fire truck.
In 1946, the City built a small concrete block building on
Alpharetta Street near Elizabeth Way in which to house the City Hall,
fire station, and jail. The cost of the building was $1,000, much more
than originally planned because of the extra steel bracing needed for
The Fire Department was expanding in volunteers and equipment,
making it necessary in the mid 1950s to purchase the Economy Auto
Building next door for the fire station. In 1979, the Wright Chevrolet
building on Alpharetta Street at Norcross Street became available, and
the City purchased the building for the Fire Department.
The 1942 building, enlarged into a five-bay fire station with 11,643
square feet of space, was completed and put into use in 1980. The
glassed-in room used as a showroom for the car dealership is the present
For more information about the history of the Roswell Fire Department, please visit our museum at:
1002 Alpharetta St.
Alpharetta, GA 30005