Structures

Print
Smith Plantation Structures
The Archibald Smith Plantation Home, built in 1845, is complete with 10 original outbuildings including a slave dwelling, cookhouse, well, corn crib, and barn.

Facilities

Structure

Description
Main House The Archibald Smith Home, built in 1845, is a two-story, heavy timber frame wood structure. The orientation of the house is almost true north-south with the front entrance facing south. The house was altered very little from the date of original construction until it was inherited in 1940 by Arthur William Smith, grandson of Archibald Smith. The original full width one-story front porch was replaced with a two-story porch with square columns. A step inside the house is a step back in time, reflecting three generations of the Smith family who lived here.
Parson's or Traveler's Room Located on the back of the house, this room was used by traveling preachers or others. Here travelers found a place to sleep out of the elements, and provided the homeowner with news from all around.
Garage Former carriage house used to store carriages, horses, and hay. It was converted to a garage in the 1940s. The carriage house was constructed in the mid 1850s.
Barn Dates from 1850. This building has a fieldstone foundation, raised floor, and stone steps. It was used to store farm equipment rather than animals. In 2002, a falling tree destroyed the building. It was rebuilt in 2004 to faithfully reproduce the original, with improvements for use as a space for exhibits and meetings.
Cookhouse The cookhouse served as the kitchen for the plantation until 1915. It was built away from the main home because of the heat an open hearth generated. In the 1800s there were no means of cooling, and there was also a threat of fire. The present building was rebuilt after a fire in 1863 on the original foundation.
Corn Crib Circa 1850. The corn crib was used to store corn for both humans and animals. Its raised construction prevented rodents and moisture from destroying the corn.
Covered Well Circa 1845. The circular dug well stands at the center of the backyard, which was the hub of daily activity for the Plantation. The wooden well curb, cover, and windlass are original.
Caretaker's House Circa 1844. Oral tradition identifies this structure as having been where the Archibald Smith family lived during the period of construction of the main house (1844-1845). In 1996, this building was completely destroyed when the second largest white oak tree in Georgia fell on it. This building, now the office, was rebuilt to faithfully reproduce the original.
Guest House Circa 1850. This was most likely originally a slave dwelling. It has been radically altered over the years, and in 1940, it was remodeled into a Guest House.
Greenhouse East of the main house is a structure perceived to be an original greenhouse or “cold frame.” Roots and seeds were kept in the building between seasons. This structure was rehabilitated in the 1940s to serve as a boiler room for the hot water heating system installed in the main house.
Slave Dwelling This modest structure with clapboard siding and fieldstone foundation was most likely a dwelling for slaves. The building is represented as it may have looked.
Spring House This stone building over a natural spring is where the Smith family would have stored their perishable items such as eggs, milk, and butter. The spring house kept food cold year round.